Show reviews that mention
art van van art furniture store service customer customer service warranty delivery
Filter review
I purchased a new recliner from Art Van's Clearance Center (not a display model). It was a Stratolounger which I also dont recommend buying. I have purchased other items from the clearance center before with no problems. But within two weeks of buying it, a piece of...

Hi my name is laura I dont like artvans eitheti bought a table about three years ago now it has to be replaced. :(

View more comments
ID
#202313 Review #202313 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Detroit, Michigan
Art Van Furniture Recliner

Art van is deceptive with respect to 15 percent restocking fee.

We purchased a large chest for our bedroom. They charged an 80 dollar delivery fee. They happily charged my credit card. Item arrives and cannot fit through my stairwell. Delivery guys take it away, say I am all set. I call to get the charge removed from my credit card. I am informed that my options are store credit or a 15 percent restocking fee. I am pissed off and challenge their ridiculous policy. They imply that I am an *** for not knowing it wouldn't fit. They stated that they would charge my card 15percent of purchase price saying that it was in the fine print on the back of purchase agreement that I signed. If they would have mentioned that policy, I never would have purchased the item. This company won't last 10 more years.

Join the fight against the "big guy" become a friend of tenpenny furniture

Art Van is really racking up a horrible reputation now.

You are a fool.

learn to measure BEFORE u buy

View more comments (3)
ID
#199478 Review #199478 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Art Van Furniture Furniture Set

Art Van Furniture in Holland, MI

I stopped in Art Van Store in Holland, MI - have never bought anything there before and was treated very well. As a matter of fact - I have been back two times to make a purchase - very friendly and curtious. I have read some to the complaints - and I am sure they are ligitimate. It seems that people always know how to complain and let the world know how they have been treated vs. letting people know - they had a good experience and I happen to be one of them. I am planning on going back to Art Van to look at some other furniture on Saturday.

My husband went there to buy a 8 piece living room set and went to pick it up they had the 3 furniture pieces wrong and now we are waiting 5 days just to get furniture and have just end tables a coffee table and lamps in my living room nothing to sit on they were giving us cheap *** gifts to try to smooth it over never will shop there again

Join the fight against the "big guy" become a friend of tenpenny furniture

Perhaps you got something that was of good quality? I dont know.

But all I hear is bad things about Art Van. You may also not care for the quality of your merchandise. I sure am. I want good furniture and am not afraid to pay good money for it either.

When I put good money out, I expect good merchandise. I also expect a polite delivery man. I complained to the sales manager about this before I canceled my sales...did she inquire into his name? Ask me further questions?

No she did not. Bottom line...its all about the buck for Art Van.

No longer are they an option for me to shop at. I found Fenton Furniture as being outstanding.

They will order whatever you want and guarantee their stuff.

They want your business for life. Not for the one time sale.

ID
#194387 Review #194387 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Mattawan, Michigan

My daughter and my grandson have been cut by exposed staples

The back of the couch I bought is coming off and there are several exposed staples that are sharp enough to cut you if you get too close to them. I bought the couch last year at Art Van, the Hall rd store. Also two of the legs are cracked. When I called customer service they said in effect "we will do nothing about those problems." They want to charge me to fix the problems. I wouldn't trust that either . That's the quality level you can expect at Art Van and the level of customer service you can expect - if you are daring enough to shop there!

Bought a warranty...I think a couch has a warranty that it automatically comes with. Art Van is known for not honoring their warranty and shoddy service.

And...deceptive sales. Need we say more??

Maybe you should have bought a warranty! Just a thought...

I'll be sure to avoid this company. Thanks for sharing this info.

ID
#191760 Review #191760 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Waterford Township, Michigan

Only care about the sale

I bought over $4000 in furniture at one time in your Chesterfield store. The salessperson I have no complaints on. The delivery I do. When you buy a car you expect to get what you see is what you pay for. When you get your car you don't have to put it together. No one in the store told us that if you buy in the clerance section that when delivered you have to put it together. The reason for me going to ART VAN is so I get what I see. I could have gone to Big Lots or Walmart and paid cheaper to put together items or ordered from Sauder. My husband just got out of the hospital with a heart attack and then for 7 hours he was putting together our bedroom, living room and ping pong table we bought for our new home. I have always bought from ART VAN and have recomended it for other people who like my furniture now I have nothing good to say because when I called they say oh well. Forget you ART VAN. I have 2 more bedrooms to complete. All I want is compensation for this and no one will talk to me that is poor customer service.

Hey, Lonnie why don't you bring your toolbox with you and assemble this customers, furniture for them first?

I work for art van furniture and I can tell you that as a sales person, I do my absolute best to accomodate my guest in the right selection process but some guests don't want the help of the sales associate and that is a mistake. We know what works best for your budget and will hold years of wear and tear.

It is our job to be with you till you leave the store, but understand we are not there to hound you, but to help you and guide you.

As far as delivery, I am with you that the area of delivery needs to be worked on to guarantee that you get your furniture in the utmost professional clean and new manner. Come and see me and we can do a room plan for your home, office or whatever you need to fill.

STAND UP Against the "BIG GUY" become a friend of Tenpenny Furniture

Harrison Township, Michigan

Cheap Quality, Deceptive Advertising

Art Van Furniture - Cheap Quality, Deceptive Advertising
I bought a table and chairs from the Mission Hills Collection that were described as; Construction: Constructed using veneers over wood and select solids. The select solids turn out to be plastic! All the trim on the set is plastic that scratches easily and shows white against the dark oak set color. I called corporate and set up an in home visit from their repair people. They said it was a cheap set, what do I expect! I was told I should have shopped at Gormans if I wanted quality. I called back to corporate and was told that they will not take the set back as it is over the 30 day return period. I can pay to have the plastic repainted or they will give me 15% off a new dinning set. This is *** service. I'll take my money elsewhere.

Wow, you would think that Art Van employees have better things to do than post on here. Get back to work!

If they sold the table as veneers over hardwood, then the customer was right to complain. Gorman's actually DOES sell good furniture.

Good, as in, it really IS made out of wood, not cardboard and resin. It is up to the consumer, in the end, to become educated on the products they are purchasing.

I contacted the Better Business Bureau after posting here. Art Van just called and will now give me full credit for price of the old set and 15% off a new set. Thanks BBB.

Thats what you do with furniture . .see how easily it scratches.

What are you doing to your furniture to scratch it? I know, another bored Gormans sales associate with no customers.

Gormans sells the same thing at 3 times the price. If you paid that, you would take better care of the product.

Can't wait for the movie. You would tink Gormans sales associates would have something better to do .

oh wait . .without customers this is all they have to do.

Fenton, Michigan
Service
Art Van Furniture Repair

Art Van Stinks

I bought an expensive kitchen table and chair and within two years, the finish dulled and weakened leaving the table vunlerable to scratches and water rings. The service person could give no reason why the finish looked the way it did but he was "sure it wasn't covered." I bought the warrenty but of course Art Van said it is not covered. I wrote letters the headquarters and still no help. I have been a customer for over 10 years and they could care less! I was on hold forever and the woman I spoke to was rude. I will never shop at any of their locations again! I advise everyone against buying anything from them, it is not worth it!!

Stand up to the "BIG GUY" join the grass roots movement become a friend of Tenpenny Furniture

I know what u are going thru. I bought an expensive living room set thats breaking down, color is changing and coming off, leather is pealing off and they do not care.

View more comments (1)
Washington, District Of Columbia

Sold me defective furniture for $1600.00 cash

Bought recliner and sofa, which arrived in disrepair. Then have had 5 visits, soon to be 6 to put new mechanisms in chair, whole new spring system in sofa. It's just now a year, with all these problems, how could it ever last much longer? *** furniture, will never buy again. I bought this furniture at Art Van Furniture in Battle Creek, MI. I've had to deal with one rude lady during our many phone calls and I've wasted 15-20 hours of my time waiting around for people to come fix it again and again.Next time I will shop somewhere else.

Dont you think that if they are getting that many complaints on furniture they would pull that item from their sales floor? Duh??

#207386

most furnature retailers do not even have any service available to fix you upholstry. so at least the problem is getting taken care of.

ive also been in the furnature industry before and a trained tech will average 20/hr in pay if they have been out to youre house as many times as you say it sounds like they have invested a chunk of change plus fuel costs. do you people who post comments even know what youre talking about ("they save tons of money sending service rathur than replacing furnature")

Yea, art van has provided him with service, just not GPOD SERVICE! If its needed to be repaired that many times in less than a year SOMETHING IS WRONG! They company saves a *** ton of money sending a service tech rather than giving you a new piece of furniture that you deserve when you pay $1,600.

What company in this day in age would come out 1 or 2 times without charging for the service. Sounds like you are getting service after the sale. Do the math

Kalamazoo, Michigan
Art Van Furniture Recliner
Loss
About 14 months ago I bought a leather sectional recliner sofa from Art Van. The original sofa did not fit in the room because it only came with a right handed chaise lounger and we needed a left handed one. After returning the sofa we went back to the store and the...
#1420776

Has anyone been getting robocalls from Art Van?

View more comments
West Bloomfield Township, Michigan
Art Van Furniture Sofa

Art Van terrible service

We bought a leather couch from Art Van along with the lifetime warranty in 2007. Within the first 6 months the color and dye was wearing off. Called service and they came out and replaced the seat cushions, but said this was a courtesy only. Well, the color has worn off again, and service came out and refuses to do anything about this problem. Told us that it is normal wear and tear. A leather couch should last for years. My kids have a leather couch that we gave them and it is at least 15 years old. No problem with the color. I am very upset with Art Van for not taking care of this problem and it looks as they are selling inferior furniture that they won't stand behind. They have my money and now the *** with the customer. Never buy another thing from them, they have lost their INTEGRITY.

We have battled with them over their leather furniture for over ten years dye problems over and over the only reason it has gone on so long 3 couches from them all the same problem the dye wearing of they suck you back in by giving you instore credit and we love leather but the last instore credit we got from them was used for micro fiber NEVER will we bye from them again horrible lying service

The leather was probably made from some sickly,diseased animal in a Third World country.

I am having the same problem. few years ago they cam out and because any time I wiped the couch the dye would come off.

They just told me today after coming out again for 7 minutes and taking pictures that i shouldn't waited so long to call them and that the repair was too far gone. So they are admiting there's a problem. i asked them why is the ink coming off in the first place and they blame it on the dirt breaking it down which is a load of ***. i am not done with this and will continue to move up the chain of commands.

Poor product. No matter what Art Van says.

The dye should not come off weith just wiping the couch. I will contact the local media and report Art Van.

Nauset, I had the EXACT same thing happen with the Copper Harbor sofa. We purchased the additional leather protection service AND use the leather conditioner.

The sofa has had only light usage. Art Van came out, replace the cusion covers and we FORBADE anyone to sit on this sofa. Now the same thing is occuring -- the surface is cracking and the color is coming off.

We have another leather sofa that was much cheaper and has lasted for more than 10 years with heavy use -- yes it has wear, but normal wear and tear. There is clearly a problem with this sofa line.

#199666

I agree they are definitly selling inferior furniture...they are now competing with Big Lots instead of repitable furniture companies.

I am so glad that I read these reviews. I will not shop their for my new sofa.

Its to bad that art van people gets on here blaming the person who spent the money and they got ripped off. Shame on you.

Maybe you should take care of your furniture instead of trying to blame the store where you purchased it.

Gave you new cushions? Sounds like they tried to help. Sounds like hard use and improper care to me

View more comments (7)
Royal Oak, Michigan
Loss

Reel you in with the zero interest

We went to Art Van last night to get a couch and 2 recliners and wanted to finance them at the advertised zero percent interest. We could only finance the furniture on the main floor, not the clearance so we need to finance about $1400.00. We have excellent credit scores and there should not have been a proplem but she comes back and says we were not approved for the zero down but we were approved at 23% interest by another lender. Told her never mind and left. They oblivously did not want to sell almost $2000 of furniture. Went to Lazy Boy, got approved for $5000 of no interest/no payments for 1 year. Ended up with better quality furniture and better warranties/guarantees. Art Van always has so many rules to get their advertised deals that most people dont' qualify.
#207375

getting mad at a company who has no control weather you get approved or not is no reason to post negative comments. ge money has the same guide lines as most major lenders. lashing out at retailers becouse you don't pay youre bills that is just childish

#200948

the lazy boy stores are out of buisness now ...so where did you and you great credit go again ??

#199669

calling someone a lier on here is just ignorant. No one is going to go on here and lie about what happened. People are here because they are frustrated for ligitimate reasons.

Newsflash!!!! Art Van Furniture is not the finance company and they did not deny you.

Their current finance company is GE Money.

I suggest you direct your ignorance and frustration towards them. I also highly doubt that you were approved at Lazyboy for $5000 when they do not have the financial backing to provide better financing options.

@PissedConsumer140846

I know because I use to work there. There financing is tricky and you must have excellent credit to get any of the deals.

Always read the fine print. They do make money off all contracts written. Although they are done through another company that company gives them kudos money.

sounds like a couple of these replies are coming from people who work for Art Van. It doesn't surprise me at all the Lazy Boy gave them 5000.00

Kalamazoo, Michigan

Never again

I was in line to purchase some new furnature due to a house fire. I went to ArtVan Furnature in Traverse City Michigan. I had made several trips back and fourth at 60 miles a pop. Of course the leaches there who work on commission were all over me. I found and made arraingments to purchase ALL of my furnature there including a full bedroom set and livingroom set. I carefully picked everything and asked to put it on lay away due to the fact my home was not ready and I had no place to store it. They were oh so happy to accomidate me. When the time came to get it delivered the delivery truck delivered everything but one hide a bed couch. Mind you with this couch I purchased a regular couch and chair with the set. I was told by the delivery person to call the store. After getting transfered several times and I was put in touch with my sales man whom informed me they sold out of the hide a bed and would not be able to get anymore in. What a crock. What is lay away anyway? To my knowledge you put money down on something and the store holds it for you. The sales man was so rude and offered me a free air mattress. I guess he got his comission so he didn't care. I should have just told them to come get all there furnature but with everything I had been through I was simply to drained to deal with them. I'll never ever shop there and would advise others to do the same.

I can tell you exactly what happened. it was your sales man who didn't do his job.

A lay away is just a reserve at Art Van. The product is still in the warehouse being sold. When it gets low they alert the sales man with the order. He should have told you to get it now or would be gone.

Put the order in the get it for you or it would be lost. Your product was not on a true lay away where the produce was reserved.

So he lost it for you!! He got paid for it so didn't care.

SEO| Internet Marketing| Website DesigningHiWe are leading SEO service provider and web Development Company. We are expert in PHP,.NET, and many open sources like Joomla, Drupal, Wordpress, Oscommerse ,Zencart and Blog Management.

We offer best of quality work to our clients at the lowest possible prices. We can quickly promote your website.We can place your website on top of the Natural Listings on Google, Yahoo and MSN. We do not use ""link farms"" or ""black hat"" methods that Google and the other search engines frown upon and can use to de-list or ban your site.

. Price is never a constraint with us because we take pride in handling challenging work.We would be happy to send you best fit proposal for web development and designing and if you have a SEO requirement we will send you a proposal using the top search phrases for your area of expertise.In order for us to respond to your request for information, please include your company’s website address (mandatory) and /or phone number.Sincerely,Aden Clarkclarkaden634@***.comCOMPLETE INTERNET MARKETING SOLUTIONSEO - Link Building - Copyright - Web Designing - PHP

#208603

art van is a large chain of stores that does hundreds of thousands of dollars in buissness every month, including layaways. how would you expect them to physically hold on to all that furnature the warehousing needs would be astranomical.

i would also like to add that sales people do not get paid on merchandise untill it is in youre home. think before you assume

Saginaw, Michigan
Art Van Furniture Sofa

Broken Bed- so what?

We bought our bed in October 2006, after we were married and had moved. We got kittens, which were not declawed, and they destroyed the leather. That's our fault, and we understand that. They are declawed now, and we plan on using the frame in a guest room when we get the house and we'll get another frame- it's a sleigh bed like we wanted, but not the right color anyway. A few months ago, the leather slab on the side of the bed that connects the headboard to the footboard just collapsed. We have not been cruel to this bed at all. We shoved it back in, but it continued to collapse until we screwed it back in. Recently, the wood slats on the bottom that hold up the mattress collapsed on one end-the screws just tore right out. We currently have some screws in it(but we need to borrow an electronic screwdriver) and BOOKS under it. Our $1600 bed is being held up with books. Because it wasn't screwed in all the way, it collapsed on the other end two nights ago. We were just so angry. Times are tough, but our nice furniture was one thing we had going for us. So today, I finally called. Naturally, our warranty was up in Nov of last year. I told her we should have broken the bed earlier. I understand that warranties only last so long because the company needs to MAKE money, but they couldn't offer a credit to our account (we owe $700 more on couches/futons we bought after paying off the bed-need to pay off before the day the interest starts!), replacement parts, nothing. They did offer to come out and fix it for $50 the first hour. My Dad is a handyman, and he's coming by today, and we'll reinforce this sucker with millions of screws. When we eventually buy a new frame, this frame will not be used often so it should hold up. After all, the frame was already *** due to the scratches. But to think, we haven't even had this frame for 2 YEARS YET.
#207990

Art van isn't my favorite and I'd would suggest buying from a store like Ethan Allen when at all possible but I understand that most furniture stores are so expensive and art van does offer great prices. However with those great prices you are usually getting what you paid for.

I would only purchase certain brands from there and I would NEVER walk out without an extended warranty. If they gave you a credit after the warranty they would have to credit everyone and then why would anyone purchase an extended warranty. My suggestion to all art van furniture shoppers is get an extended warranty and if the sales people haven't told you something I would ask in full details. Never assume or expect that they are going to tell you everything.

The bottom line is here bottom line! As a consumer now a days we must ask and question everything. You have to work twice as hard to earn your paycheck and unfortunatly twice as hard to purchase something.

Nothing is made like it used to be and the main goal is for large companies to seperate you from your hard earned money. PERIOD.

@PissedConsumer207990

It wouldn't surprise me at all it this wasn't screwed together correctly. the Sales man are required to put furniture together when it is slow.

I wouldn't have wanted to buy anything I had put together when working there. I was hired to sell furniture not put it together and I was not good at it. So there is one answer why it wasn't put together correctly.

But it was out of warranty. too bad you didn't notice that before.

Should know if they are selling junk. If they can not stand by what they are selling, they should not be in business.

Art Van does not owe u a credit. The manufacturers do not reimburse the company if the merchandise is out of warranty.

You stated yourself that YOU broke the bed. No warranty would cover it if it is not a manufacturer defect.

Stop blaming ArtVan and take responsibility. Art Van only sells the furniture, they do not make it.

View more comments (3)
Detroit, Michigan
Art Van Furniture Bed

Poor quality furniture

purchased bedrm furniture 7-2007, have had 4-5 service calls on bed, 3-4 on chest, 2 on night stand, 1 on mattress, currently my cloths are on the floor, first chest returned broken leg, door will not closed, drawer hard to open after 3 service calls, my second chest was returned today broken never even used, and 3rd replacement chest arrived today broken, the delivery men would not even remove it from the truck, first time, only time, last time buyer from artvan, image the cost for service when 1 year warrenty expired and i still need service

you think that was bad, they treat their employees like ***, then fire them. Maybe that's why the delievery men are jerks! :(

Flint, Michigan
Service
Art Van Furniture Delivery Service

Art Van Fires Dedicated Employee

Art Van fires a dedicated employee for no good reason. SHe was the victim of harassment, the emloyee that did this to her posted the video from his phone on UTube which was unknown to her. THey fired the victim (6 months later) because she didn't tell mgmt. She didn't because in the past, mgmt. did noting for her and she was afraid of the consequences since the mgr. did not care for her. WRONGFUL termination. She diliently looked for work (as there are no jobs in MI) and finally found one recently with NO benefits for her family. NOW unemployment wants her money back! Don't work for Art Van. THey treat their employees like *** then screw u in th end!

yeah i worked for them as well, did everything they asked, was always on time. My managers favored other workers, made racist remarks.

Talked about how they know the furniture is so cheaply made and they make so much off it.

They would change my schedual around every week and give the new guys the days i requested as i worked longer than the new guys by a 6 month period. Fired me after a injury that happend on the job after, i told them the doc said i would be out for a few weeks.

The employee that harrassed your friend is probably a drinking buddy of the sales manager and a drug supplier for the store manager therefore, nothing will happen to the employee that harrassed her.

I was a former employee with ten years service as a salesperson and then was terminated by the store manager because they were on a mission to have only younger employees. Good luck on finding an attorney to go up against Art Van as most of them are afraid. Art Van does not like to pay unemployment so try to be patient because after so many weeks there is nothing they can do to your friend.

I used to work for AV. Thee worst job I have ever had. Long hrs, no pay, and the managers treat you like ***!

I got scamed into the same thing with te kirby company in Norwich CT!! I was there almost 10 day.

And on my 11th day when I showed up to work I was told that I was fired because I didnt sell any kirbys. Who the *** can afford a $2000 vac I dont know of anybody. Then come to find out all of the pay that was promised in my first paycheck......

what paycheck i was told i dont get paid that my time was considered training. I swear i cant wait for them to call my house to set up a demo and i will play along with it then waste their time too just like they did with mine and hey i get a free carpet shampooing out of it so call Kirby call, "yeah sure i want a free demo"

i don't think Unemployment asks for money back unless the employee fails to prove some problem on behalf of the employer

Sounds big time like harassment and wrongful termination . I'll check out my attorney contacts.

Any attorneys out there that would handle pro bono as she has absolutely no money for an attorney going up against this huge company.... please help

View more comments (8)