In 2014 I bought a recliner from Art Van in Traverse City, MI.It was a nice looking piece of furniture and very comfortable but not top of the line.

It was made of vinyl and not leather which was fine with me or so I thought. I assumed, as would anyone, that any chair designed to be used by a human would be made of a material capable of withstanding such use. I paid around $350 for the chair which is not a lot but enough to expect a reasonable period of use (10 years or so). After only 2 years the fabric (some kind of vinyl I believe) began to simply flake off it's backing.

This continued to happen until now there is a spot about 8-10 inches in diameter that is bare behind my head. While I do have an issue with the chair itself and it's manufacture, my biggest complaint is with the way Art Van responded to my concerns when I confronted them with the matter. I first spoke with a salesman at the store I purchased the item from. He blew me off with a simple "you get what you pay for".

I then went to corporate customer service and got no sympathy. Finally, I paid another visit to the store and spoke with a manager. This guy was the biggest joke. He blamed "me" for the whole problem citing my ignorance for not knowing I was buying a cheap chair to stealing commission from his salesman by not buying the $800 leather chair.

At no time did he register any concern over the fact that he cost me $350 or the fact that he was pushing junk furniture in his store. Here is my overall problem with all of this: no company should make furniture out of a material that wears out in 2 years. They have to test their fabrics and find out what reacts to oil in hair and skin or to hairspray. Chairs are made to be sat in and to put one on the market at any price that can't be is insane.

But then for Art Van to put that chair in their showroom and ask consumers to pay good money for it is even worse. They have to know that this cheap vinyl won't hold up to repeated use and they should either make their customers aware of this issue before purchase of remove the product from their stores. The manager I spoke with looked and said they had 10 of the very chair I bought in their warehouse. Which means at least 10 more people will lose their money on a crap chair.

Any what will Art Van think about this? "More money for us" is my bet. It is sad that a company will spend millions of dollars a year on ads wooing customers into their stores. They then love them and treat them with respect right up to the moment when they get their money.

But that's where the customer service ends because apparently Art Van doesn't see any value in the "service" just in the "customer" part.I would never shop in one of their stores again and caution other consumers to stay away as well.

Review about: Art Van Furniture Recliner.

Reason of review: Bad quality.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

Had an Experience with Art Van Furniture?

Comments