Art Van Furniture - Review in Furniture and Decor category from Carleton, Michigan

The recent experience my family and I had with Art Van would probably be one of the worst customer service encounters I have had yet to date.We went into the Taylor location over Memorial Day weekend thinking it would be a great time to pick out some new furniture for the new house we had just purchased.

Excited to pick out new living room furniture as well as a full set for our new basement we encountered Nick when we arrived. While he was very helpful at the time, his service overall was extremely disappointing. We ordered a custom sectional for the living room and a custom couch, loveseat and recliner for our basement. We let him know we needed the furniture within 4-5 weeks as we would be moving into the new home at that time, and would have sold all of our old pieces.

Nick assured us they would all be in the week of June 27th. We opened a line of credit at the store and also put a percentage down. June 27th came and went with no phone call about the furniture. We contacted the store and spoke with more than one representative who all insisted the furniture wouldn't be in until mid July.

Again we spoke with Nick on the phone TWICE who told us, it was in the warehouse but just needed to be checked in. July 1st came and went and we called yet again. We were then told that our account was labeled as layaway, and because there was a balance due they didn't call for delivery and gave our sectional to another customer. Keep in mind, we advised we would come back into the store to pay the balance once we received a phone call that the pieces were all in.

At no time were we told it had to be paid in full to set up delivery. We called on 7/2 and 7/3 and were told the furniture would not be in until 7/11 actually, and due to the holiday we should wait to call until then. We called on 7/11, 7/12 and 7/13. My husband actually went into the store, this time speaking with Todd the Assistant Manager.

Todd apologized for the mishap about the piece being given away and for the confusion about the availability. He assured us that the store Manager would call us on Thursday the 14th. He stated that the pieces wouldn't actually be in until sometime around 7/26. That it could actually be after that because it can be a week or two before everything is off the trucks and checked in.

The 14th came and went with no phone call. Finally on the evening of the 14th we went into the store ourselves. So here we are 6-7 weeks after we ordered the furniture, mind you this is 3000 we intended to spend, which I don't feel is a small amount. Granted I know the store sells thousands of dollars worth a day, but again, this was supposed to be an excited thing, getting new furniture for our first home.

We were told in the store that the store Manager had an emergency and had to leave, that's why he didn't call us. The clearance center manager was the only Manager in the store so he assisted us. This is after we approached the desk and a representative said "Oh I know that name, Justin Dobbs-ya you've been calling a lot." I told the Manager we were extremely dis-satisfied and wanted a refund on our purchases. I found a piece that was in stock and available, but 500 dollars out of our price point so we ultimately were backed into a corner.

We were told by this Manager to please give him a day, he would call us today the 15th. He contacted us this morning still without a date of when our sectional would be available. Ultimately we cancelled the order for the sectional no longer willing to wait. We did however today have your delivery team come to our home to deliver the couch for the basement.

Not only is the piece damaged--there is a 2-3 inch rip in the fabric on the back of the couch, but there is damage to our wall where a big chunk of drywall is now missing. Keep in mind this is our home we have been in 3 weeks with a brand new finished basement. I contacted the Taylor store and am currently awaiting a delivery manager to contact me about "coming to an agreement" as the representative in the store stated. So as I mentioned 7 weeks after we ordered this furniture we have one sofa, no furniture for our living room, and are still awaiting delivery of the loveseat--which at this point I don't even want a delivery team from Art Van handling.

We decided to go to Value City down the street and were able to order a different sectional and oddly enough it will be delivered next Wednesday, 5 days from today...Not 7+ weeks. I am so unsatisfied with the customer service, the store, the delivery, just about every part of what was supposed to be a fun process. I am a Manager in the healthcare field and would never allow one of my members to have such an experience. If I have an irate member or am working on an escalated issue, I call them back with an update when I say I will, even if it isn't finished or fixed.

There is nothing worse than having to call the store and sit on hold 14 times trying to figure out where your stuff is that you ordered. Been in our new home 3 weeks and have had to sit on folding chairs since we still have no furniture. I would like a Manager at the Corporate office to contact me and make arrangements to have the damage repaired to our home, the damage repaired to the couch, or a new couch delivered, and a discount for our loveseat (if not a complete discount) we are still waiting on. Also throw in the fact that the FREE tablet we were given for spending 3 grand we are now being CHARGED FOR!!

I will never go through this company again for any purchase, and mentioned so to about 40 people at work today.This is supposed to be a major corporation and I was extremely let down with the entire process.

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

More Review Details

Style and Design

Product or service
Art Van Delivery
Review category
Furniture and Decor
review #883321 by

Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more

Had an experience with Art Van Furniture? Submit review ›
Helpful? 0 Yes 0 0 No 0
Had the same issue 0 Yes 0
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Post a comment to start a discussion.

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.